Puffing Billy Railway
Tasmanian Locomotives and Rolling Stock

7a.jpg (136690 bytes) The Puffing Billy Railway is located at Belgrave, about 40 km east of Melbourne, Victoria. In the 45 years since closure by the Victorian Railways, the Belgrave to Gembrook line, popularly known as Puffing Billy, has become one of Melbourne's most popular tourist attractions. Services have recently been extended as far as the original terminus at Gembrook, giving a total length of 24 km. A musesum has also been established at Menzies Creek (6.3 km from Belgrave) which has a wide variety of exhibits. The official PBR site has full information about the railway and museum.

Photo: Former Victorian Railways loco 7A takes water at Lakeside (13 km from Belgrave), which is still the terminus for many trains.

Items listed as being located at Museum are located at the Steam Museum, adjacent to Menzies Creek station. These items remain in their original 3' 6" gauge and are unmodified. Items listed as being located at the Railway have been regauged to 2'6" (762 mm) and have been modified to varying extents. These items are available for service when required on the Puffing Billy Railway, are located at various locations along the line and are often not available for public access.

This table only includes Tasmanian items. In addition to the stock on our list, there is an extensive collection of Victorian Railways narrow gauge equipment, both for service and display, and the museum has many exhibits from around Australia and a number of other countries. A full listing of operational stock is available on the PBR official site.

From 1966 until February 2004, former Mt Lyell Abt locomotive No.5 and guards van B1 were on display at the Menzies Creek museum. These two items have since been returned to Tasmania for service on the West Coast Wilderness Railway. Similarly diesel loco V9, returned to Tasmania in late 2007.

Please Note: This page has no connection at all with the Puffing Billy Railway. This page has been produced independently as part of a series covering major preserved railways with Tasmanian rolling stock. 


TASMANIAN DIESEL LOCOMOTIVES

No.

Builder

Type

Year
built

Ex.

Location

Note

D 21 TGR Launceston ‒C‒ 1968 TGR Railway Formerly V12, regauged and modified


TASMANIAN CARRIAGES & GUARDS VANS

No.

Builder

Type

Year
built

Ex.

Location

Note

NAL 1 Lancaster Railway Carriage and Wagon Co Saloon 1901 Mt Lyell Railway Named Mt Lyell
NAL 2 Lancaster Railway Carriage and Wagon Co Saloon 1901 Mt Lyell Railway Named Rinadeena
NAL 3 Lancaster Railway Carriage and Wagon Co Saloon 1901 Mt Lyell Railway Named Teepookana
NAL 4 Lancaster Railway Carriage and Wagon Co Saloon 1901 Mt Lyell Railway Named Dubbil Barril

TASMANIAN WAGONS & SERVICE STOCK

No.

Builder

Type

Year
built

Ex.

Location

Note

NNN 1 TGR workshops, Launceston Ballast Hopper 1954 TGR Railway Ex TGR QG3. Extensively rebuilt
NNN 2 TGR workshops, Launceston Ballast Hopper 1954 TGR Railway Ex TGR QG?. Extensively rebuilt
QG ? TGR workshops, Launceston Ballast Hopper 1954 TGR Railway It is belived that an additional two TGR QG wagons remain in storage for future use

Note: The four NAL carriages (ex Mt Lyell saloon cars) were 'O Class' numbers 1, 2, 3 and 5 when in Tasmania, and were puchased in 1965 following the closure of the Mt Lyell railway. After varying time in service on normal trains, all four have now been rebuilt to a very high standard and are used on special services such as the Luncheon and Dinner trains.

Table compiled from personal observations, official website, and museum booklet.

Society information can be found at their official site, which also has a full stock listing.

dividing rule

Return to Preservation Index

Page last updated: February 21, 2008, 01:52:12
Page URL: http://railtasmania.com/pres/pbrstock.php
All content of this site is copyright ©
Please contact us if you have problems or want more information