Built in 1922 as a single-truck, double-deck tram, Hobart Municipal Tramways number 46 was converted to a single-deck car about 1948. Officially scrapped in August 1954, the body of 46 and many others were sold for use as sheds.
In 1973 the decrepit body of 46 was acquired by the TTMS and transported to the museum. Restoration proceeded slowly until 1993, when the body of 46 was to form the centrepiece of the centenary of public transport in Hobart. Much time and effort was put into restoring 46 to its former glory, and the body was exhibited in Hobart's Elizabeth Street Mall during the celebrations. The Tram was also taken to the Royal Hobart Show on one occasion for display with the Hobart City Council
As with Launceston tram 13, number 46 is without an underframe and is not operational.
Template last updated: March 27, 2011, 08:05:21
Page URL: http:// railtasmania.com/ttms/exhibit.php?id=46
All content of this site is copyright ©
Please contact us if you have problems with the site or want more information