Exhibit - AAL10

Prior to its first mainline outing in 20 years, AAL10 was on display outside the carriage shed at the museum during March 1999. Photo: Stuart Dix
Prior to its first mainline outing in 20 years, AAL10 was on display outside the carriage shed at the museum during March 1999. Photo: Stuart Dix

AAL10 was built in 1930 for use on express and boat trains between Hobart and Launceston. With the introduction of newer carriages and railmotors during the 1950s, the operation of older carriages on secondary and suburban services became more common. AAL10 remained in service until withdrawn in 1977, following the cessation of all passenger services in Tasmania.

Extensive restoration work was started soon after the carriage arrived at the museum site in 1979, and recently further work has been carried out to allow operation on mainline trains.

SP4 and AAL10 at Derwent Park station on their delivery run. October 1979
An interior view of AAL10
AAL10 at Westerway on a charter trip, November 2002
AAL10  brings up the rear of a charter train at Hayes, October 2004

Template last updated: March 27, 2011, 08:05:21
Page URL: http:// railtasmania.com/ttms/exhibit.php?id=aal10
All content of this site is copyright ©
Please contact us if you have problems with the site or want more information