Exhibit - Mt Lyell Mining and Railway Company, Abt loco No 2

MLM&R Co. number 3 at Lynchford in February 1962. Photo: ARHS Tasmania Collection
MLM&R Co. number 3 at Lynchford in February 1962. Photo: ARHS Tasmania Collection

Built by Dübs and Co. of Scotland in 1898, Mount Lyell Mining and Railway Company No. 2 was designed to haul trains over the steeply-graded Strahan-Queenstown line on Tasmania's west coast. Sections of this line were fitted with ABT pattern rack rails and the five 0-4-2 tank engines were fitted with matching pinion wheels to enable greater loads to be hauled up the 1 in 16 gradients.

With the closure of the line in 1963, locomotive Number 2 was obtained by the museum and taken to Hobart for preservation. There are no plans to return Number 2 to Queenstown or undertake further work to the locomotive at present

Abt No. 2 at Queenstown in the 1920s. The loco still sports the original small coal bunker and oil l
Ex Mt Lyell Rack Tank No. 2 sits outside the roundhouse during shunting operations, October 2002
Ex Mt Lyell Rack Tank No. 2 and ex TMLR carriage A+17 wait outside the carriage shed during shunting
Ex Mt Lyell Rack Tank No. 2 and ex TMLR carriage A+17 wait outside the carriage shed during shunting
Abt No. 2 in its normal display area at the museum, February 2014

Template last updated: March 27, 2011, 08:05:21
Page URL: http:// railtasmania.com/ttms/exhibit.php?id=abt2
All content of this site is copyright ©
Please contact us if you have problems with the site or want more information