Exhibit - Climax

Climax locomotive being shunted about the museum, 30 June 1990. Photo: Michael Dix
Climax locomotive being shunted about the museum, 30 June 1990. Photo: Michael Dix

Built in 1923 by the Climax Manufacturing Company, B-type Climax b/n 1653 arrived in Tasmania from New South Wales during 1941 and entered service hauling log wagons between the TGR Derwent Valley Line and the log loading areas in the Tyenna Valley.

The Climax locomotive was taken out of service in 1949 and left on a short length of track near the log loading depot that displaced it. Eventually the locomotive was donated to the TTMS by paper making company ANM, and was transferred to the museum in 1977. Australian Newsprint Mills (later Fletcher Challenge and now Norse Skog) made a substantial donation towards the cost of cosmetically restoring the locomotive

The Climax locomotive hauls a hired TGR B class carriage into the bush and toward the logging areas
Three shots of the former Australian News Print Mills Climax logging locomotive being moved at the T
The Climax logging locomotive at the museum, November 2002
The Climax logging locomotive at the museum, November 2004
The Climax locomotive on display at the Museum, September 2007

Template last updated: March 27, 2011, 08:05:21
Page URL: http:// railtasmania.com/ttms/exhibit.php?id=climax
All content of this site is copyright ©
Please contact us if you have problems with the site or want more information