Exhibit - SP4

Before: SP4 and AAL10 at Derwent Park station on their delivery run. 9 October 1979After: Almost 20 years later, the same two carriages sit at the museum following restoration. 28 March 1999
Before: SP4 and AAL10 at Derwent Park station on their delivery run. 9 October 1979After: Almost 20 years later, the same two carriages sit at the museum following restoration. 28 March 1999

SP4 was built in 1934 as a steam railmotor. With the introduction of more DP class diesel-powered railmotors, and the decreasing number of passenger trains, the steam-powered SP cars were converted to passenger coach/vans, SP4 having its boiler and engine removed in 1950.

Extensive and drawn out restoration work has been carried out on this carriage, and after many years as a work in progress the carriage was relaunched in 1999. Since then it has run on numerous mainline and internal trains

Before their sale for preservation, carriages SP4, SP9 and SP6 were stored for some time at Longford
SP4 and AAL10 at Derwent Park station on their delivery run. October 1979
An interior view of SP4
SP4 at Westerway on a charter trip, November 2002
SP4 brings up the rear of a charter train between Colebrook and Campania, December 2003

Template last updated: March 27, 2011, 08:05:21
Page URL: http:// railtasmania.com/ttms/exhibit.php?id=sp4
All content of this site is copyright ©
Please contact us if you have problems with the site or want more information