The engine (builders number 44100 of 1928) was constructed by Robey & Co of Lincoln in England and delivered to the Public Work Department in Tasmania in January 1929. It is a 10 hp single cylinder engine which weighs in at around 17.5t. It was claimed at the time to be the largest Traction Engine to be imported into Tasmania by that time.
It generally worked driving crushing plants on road projects around the state but no specific details are know until 1943 when it was working on the construction of the Floating Bridge in Hobart. Following that it was relocated to the West Coast where it worked with a mobile crushing plant and other activities on various road projects in the area. In 1956 it was been abandoned at the quarry near Rosebery where it had last worked.
In the late 1970s or early 1980s it was recovered by the then Department of Main Roads and returned to Hobart for use as an apprentice training project, with assistance from others in the community. Following restoration the engine has been placed on loan to the Tasmanian Transport Museum Society and is kept in operation use and has regularly participated in displays, parades and other activities.
Template last updated: March 27, 2011, 08:05:21
Page URL: http:// railtasmania.com/ttms/exhibit.php?id=tractionengine
All content of this site is copyright ©
Please contact us if you have problems with the site or want more information