Exhibit - Vertical Boiler

Vertical Boiler locomotive in bush near Sharps Siding, 31 January 1983. Photo: Andrew Dix
Vertical Boiler locomotive in bush near Sharps Siding, 31 January 1983. Photo: Andrew Dix

Built in 1889 by Markham and Co. Ltd in Chesterfield, England, this vertical-boilered logging locomotive was designed to run on primitive tracks made of logs. It is first known to have arrived in Tasmania in 1898.

Having been abandoned about 1946, the locomotive was slowly engulfed by the bush until 1983 when it was recovered and transported to the museum at Glenorchy. Following a slow restoration, the locomotive is now on display at the museum

A hand coloured version of the often used photograph showing the Vertical Boiler loco in use in the
The vertical boiler locomotive in the bush on an early investigation trip, November 1969
The vertical boiler locomotive following reassembly, August 2004
The Vertical Boiler locomotive following relocation to the roundhouse, April 2006

Template last updated: March 27, 2011, 08:05:21
Page URL: http:// railtasmania.com/ttms/exhibit.php?id=vb
All content of this site is copyright ©
Please contact us if you have problems with the site or want more information