On 13 September 1950, locomotives X1 and X2 entered service in Tasmania, becoming Australia's first mainline, diesel-electric locomotives. The introduction of the 32 X class locomotives resulted in the removal of most steam locomotives from use. Up until 1973 the X class formed the backbone of the TGR locomotive fleet but with the introduction of more powerful locomotives, and a change in ownership, the X class became less useful. A number of major changes, culminating in the introduction of locomotives from South Australia and Queensland, resulted in the gradual withdrawal of the X class. X2 was the first to be withdrawn, in October 1980, with X10 and X18 being the last in service, not being sold until August 1988.
In October 1985 the Australian National Railways loaned X1 to the museum for preservation. X1 was repainted to its earlier red and cream colour scheme, which was carried from 1954 until the mid-1970s. The locomotive was officially donated to the museum in April 1997. Whilst operational, X1 is not able to run on the mainline but is used around the museum site when required, although a lack of expensive batteries does make this a rare event
Template last updated: March 27, 2011, 08:05:21
Page URL: http:// railtasmania.com/ttms/exhibit.php?id=x1
All content of this site is copyright ©
Please contact us if you have problems with the site or want more information