Tasmanian Articles in ARHS Bulletin

First published in 1934, the Bulletin contains a variety of articles about all aspects of railways from around Australia. Occasional articles of Tasmanian interest are published. The following is a list of all Tasmanian articles published since 1934.

This information comes from two sources; fistly the complete index published after thirty years of the new series (published by the ARHS ACT division), while the remainder has been compiled by the Tasmanian Division to bring the listing up to date. In addition to the articles listed, most issues included a ‘Here & There’ section with short news items, mostly taken from the magazines of the individual States. These are not included in this listing. Similarly, unaccompanied photographs have not been included.

Title & Author Description & Notes Publication Data
List of locos of Emu Bay Railway company
CC Singleton
This listing briefly describes the steam locos introduced onto this line up to 1929.
1 sketch map.
Vol 3 (Old), No. 16, Feb 1939; pp 19
The locos of the Tasmanian Main Line railway
MA Park
This article details this railway's loco fleet. Details of individual locos including builders, builder's numbers, and some detail of disposal, are tabulated. Train working is briefly mentioned, and an early timetable included.
3 diagrams.
Vol 4 (Old). No. 25, Nov 1939; pp 46–51
Key to TGR loco classes, 1871-1939
MA Park
This is a listing of TGR loco classes up to 1939 showing builders, years placed in service and road numbers. Vol 4 (Old), No.25, Nov l939; pp 52
Regatta Point – Queenstown private railway
D Murray
The line and facilities of the Mt Lyell railway are briefly described. The locos used on the line are listed.
1 sketch map.
Vol 7 (Old), No. 43, May 1941; pp 61–62
Episodes in loco history
JCM Rolland
Brief notes are presented on the fates of a number of locos which had been used by the Victorian Railways and the Launceston and Western Railway Co. Vol 7 (Old), No. 44, Jun 1941; pp 70–71,73
Launceston and Western Railway This 1600 mm gauge line between Launceston and Deloraine was the first public railway opened in Tasmania. The operation of the line was taken over by the Government shortly after opening. With the opening of further 1067 mm gauge lines, a third rail was added to the line. The 1600 mm gauge was eventually abandoned. This article traces the history of the line from construction through to abandonment of the 1600 mm gauge. The locos and rolling stock used on the line are briefly described.
1 sketch map.
Vol 8 (Old), No. 48, Oct 1941; pp 41–44
Railways of the [Tasmanian] West Coast
CB Thomas
The Tasmanian west coast was served by a number of railways and tramways. This article gives brief historical overviews and description of lines still open (in 1943), including details of locos, station layouts and safeworking. Some historical detail of closed lines is given. Lines built in Queenstown and Zeehan are described in some detail.
4 sketch maps, 29 diagrams
Article is continued in Bn 65 Mar 1943 pp 33–34, Bn 66 Apr 1943 pp 48–50, Bn 67 May 1943 pp 64–67, Bn 66 Jun 1943 pp 74–76, Bn 69 Jul 1943 pp 5–6, Bn 70 Aug 1943 pp 22–25, Bn 71 Sep 1943 pp 40–42, Bn 72 Oct 1943 p 53, Bn 73 Nov 1943 pp 69–70, and Bn 75 Jan 1944 pp 7–9. Additional information from LG Poole appears in Bn 65 Mar 1943 p 42 and Bn 70 Aug 1943 p 19.
Vol 11 (Old), No. 64, Feb 1943; pp 15–18
Early Australasian small locos
JCM Rolland
The writer reminisces about finding the remains in Victoria of 1600 mm gauge locos which had previously worked on the Launceston and Western Railway in Tasmania. Vol 14 (Old), No. 85, Nov 1944; pp 56–58
Tramways of Hobart The first electric tramway in the Southern Hemisphere began operating in Hobart in 1893. The article briefly describes the early construction and opening of the system, and development of the power supply system. The tramway was taken over by the Hobart City Council in 1913, and the system was expanded.
1 sketch map.
Vol 15 (Old), No. 92, Jun 1945; pp 76–79
Locos of the TGR in order of appearance Brief details of steam locos used by the TGR up to 1944 are listed. Details of 1600 mm and 1067 mm gauge locos are included. Vol 18 (Old), No. 107, Sep 1946; pp 39–40
The tramways of Beaconsfield
CB Thomas
The town of Beaconsfield was notable for its rich gold mine. A tramway system was constructed which eventually linked the town and mine to Beauty Point on the River Tamar and limestone quarries at Flowery Gully. Originally using horses for power, the line was converted to steam power before the closure of the gold mine led to the closure of the tramway. The article gives some detail of the line and the rolling stock that was used.
1 sketch map
Vol 19 (Old), No. 112, Feb 1947; pp 23–24
The Emu Bay Railway
CC Singleton
The Emu Bay Railway provided the major outlet for Tasmamia’s West Coast region. This article traces the development of this railway, describes the line and sidings, and includes track layout diagrams. The loco fleet is mentioned in some detail, and other rolling stock is briefly mentioned.
2 photos, l map and 24 diagrams
Article is continued in Bn 148, Feb 1950, pp 87–89, and Bn 149, Mar 1950, pp 101–102. An errata appears in Bn 149, Mar 1950, p 108.
Vol 23 (Old), No. 147, Jan 1950; pp 78–79
Hobart station
CC Singleton
Hobart Station was opened in 1876 and the building remained relatively unchanged until the 1950s. This article describes the station before modernisation, including buildings, track layout and other facilities. The signalling and safeworking systems are described.
1 map, 1 diagram.
Vol 1, No. 157, Nov 1950; pp 107–109
Early QR locos — the Dubs 4D 2-4-2 tank engines
E Lindsay
This short article gives dimensions of two small tank locos purchased for the then isolated Bundaberg to Mount Perry railway and placed in service in 1881. Information is given of their subsequent disposal to sugar interests (CSR Childers and Gibson and Howes Bingera) and later to Tasmania, but not in great detail.
1 photo.
Vol 2, No. 162, Apr 1951; pp 53–54
Launceston station
CC Singleton
This article briefly describes Launceston station, including track layout, signalling and safeworking. Services using the station and methods of working are also briefly described.
3 diagrams.
Vol 2, No. 163, May 1951; pp 73–75
Railways and tramways of the Circular Head district The timber resources of far northwest Tasmania were the reason for the construction of a number of light railway lines. Built initially by timber companies, the lines were taken over by the Public Works Department, and eventually by the TGR. The article gives an insight into the numerous lines and the locos used.
1 illustration, 6 maps, 3 diagrams
Article is continued in Bn 165 Jul 1951 pp 95–97, Bn 166 Aug 1951 pp 106–107, Bn 168 Oct 1951 pp 131–132, Bn 169 Nov 1951 pp 146–147, and Bn 170 Dec 1951 pp 153–154.
Vol 2, No. 164, Jun 1951; pp 79–80
The Magnet light railway in retrospect A line was constructed from Waratah to the Magnet mine to enable easier transport of ore. The article gives brief reasons for the construction of the line, and includes details of construction, locos and train working.
1 map.
Vol 3, No. 171, Jan 1952; pp 2–4
Articulated railcars [of the TGR] Six articulated diesel railcars designed for country service entered service in 1951. The article describes the general features of the vehicles, with some technical detail.
1 diagram.
Vol 3, No. 172, Feb 1952; pp 21–22
A brief history of the Garratt locomotive in Australia
D. Burke
This article covers most types of garratt locomotives used in Australia up to that time.
TGR K Class: February 1953 (1 photo)
TGR M & L Class: March 1953 (1 photo, 1 diagram)
EBR & TGR ASG type: Nov, Dec 1953, Jan 1954
Vol 4, No 184, Feb 1953; pp13–15
The construction of the North-East Dundas Tramway
G Smith
The North-East Dundas Tramway connected the town of Zeehan with the mining fields to the northeast. The article gives some detail of the construction of the line and some very brief details of early locos used. Vol 4, No. 190, Aug 1953; pp 92–93
The convict tramway at Port Arthur, Tasmania
LB Manny
A wooden tramway that used convicts to propel wagons was built on the Tasman Peninsula in the early 1830s. This article gives a background to the settlement of the area and subsequent construction of the tramway. A brief description of the route and contemporary accounts of journeys made is included.
1 illustration, 1 map.
Vol 5, No. 198, Apr 1954; pp 37–40
Tasmanian H class 4-8-2 and M class 4-6-2 locos
CC Singleton
These two classes of steam locos were purchased by the TGR in 1951 to help modernise the loco fleet. This article gives brief descriptions of the main features of the heavy H Class and light M Class locos.
2 diagrams.
Vol 6, No. 208, Feb 1955; pp 21–23
Locomotive RostersTasmania
H.J.Wright, J.Buckland
Basic listing of all locomotives operated by TGR and EBR up to that time. Published as part of the loose insert ‘Here and There’. Appeared over issues December 1957 (Vol 8; Issue No. 242) and January to May 1958 (Vol 9; Issue No.247)  
The Tullah Tramway
LB Manny
The Tullah Tramway connected the isolated mining town of Tullah with the Emu Bay Railway. This article gives an account of a journey over the line and describes the line, rolling stock, and operational problems.
3 photos, 2 maps
Contributions from JLN Southern, R Tonkies and JW Knowles appear in Bn 274, Aug 1960, pp 128–131. An earlier brief article on this line appears in Bn 104, Jun 1946, p 83.
Vol 11, No. 270, Apr 1960; pp 49–56
We tour Tasmania — west and north
C Einsiedel
The ARHS Victorian Division ran a five-day tour of northern and western Tasmania over Easter 1960, using mainly railcars. The tour covered the Emu Bay and Mount Lyell railways, the Tullah Tramway, and the main TGR lines from Smithton to Herrick. The article mainly describes the running of the tour.
5 photos, 1 map.
Vol 11, No. 278, Dec 1960; pp 185–195
The Emu Bay Railway
LB Manny
The Emu Bay Railway was the main means of access to Tasmania’s West Coast until the early 1960s. This article gives a brief history of the development of the line. Track diagrams and brief descriptions of sidings are included. Locos and rolling stock are listed and train services are described.
4 photos, 1 map, 22 diagrams
A contribution from HJW Stokes appears in Bn 290, Dec 1961, p 200. Contributions from JL Buckland and LG Poole appear in Bn 293, Mar 1962, pp 47–48.
Vol 12, No. 289, Nov 1961; pp 169–179
The Boulder tramway
LB Manny
A short tramway connected the mine workings and the concentration plant at the Renison Bell mine. The article describes the line as it operated in 1962, including facilities, rolling stock, and train services.
1 photo, 1 map, 1 diagram.
Vol 13, No. 292, Feb 1962; pp 17–19
Picnic day on the Mount Lyell railway
BA Palmer
The Mount Lyell Mining and Railway Company held an annual employee's picnic at Strahan, with special trains carrying the people from Queenstown. This article describes the railway operations on the last picnic day before the railway closed in 1963.
2 photos, 1 map.
Vol 14, No. 31 1, Sep 1963; pp 142–145
Railways of the Zeehan district
LB Manny
The Zeehan mining district was served by a number of railways. This article describes the North-East Dundas Tramway and branches, and the Strahan–Zeehan line of the TGR. Brief histories of the rise and decline of the systems are included, with some detail of train working and rolling stock used. The Zeehan Tramway Company's line is briefly mentioned.
10 photos, 1 map, 12 diagrams
Article is continued in Bn 313, Nov 1963, pp 165–172. Contribution from HJW Stokes appears in Bn 316, Feb 1964, pp 39–40.
Vol 14, No. 312, Oct 1963; pp 149–155
Locos of the Tasmanian Main Line Railway Company
PC James & HJW Stokes
This company constructed the railway between Hobart and Evandale. This article details the development of the company's loco fleet, and some of the problems encountered. The company was taken over by the Government in 1890, and the article traces the subsequent utilisation and disposal of the loco fleet.
5 photos, 1 map.
Contribution from JL Buckland and a reply by the writer appear in Bn 331, May 1965, pp 96–100. Contributions from RKE Woodhouse and RT Horne appear in Bn 337, Nov 1965, pp 225–226 and Bn 575, Sep 1985, p 214 respectively.
Vol 16, No. 327, Jan 1965; pp 1–8
The wanderings of [loco] no. C.28
HJW Stokes
Loco C28 was originally built for the Emu Bay Railway, but was later sold to the Public Works Department for use in construction work. After some years in storage, the loco passed to the TGR who utilised it throughout the State.
1 photo.
Vol 16, No. 329, Mar 1965; pp 58–60
The decline of steam power on the TGR, 1945–1965
HJW Stokes
The TGR introduced main line D/E locos in 1950. This article gives an excellent overview of the motive power situation immediately prior to the introduction of the diesels, and traces the demise of steam locos from 1950 to 1965 and the changes in workings which contributed to this demise.
15 photos, 1 map.
Article is continued in Bn 348, Oct 1966, pp 217–229. Contribution from JL Buckland appears in Bn 356, Jun 1967, p 124. Additional information from writer appears in Bn 395, Sep 1970, pp 219–220.
Vol 17, No. 347, Sep 1966; pp193–202
Krauss locos in Australia
BT Macdonald & CS Small

Some 50 small steam locos built overseas by Krauss were imported into Australia from 1888 until 1914. This article describes the locos in general and identifies as much as is known of each individual loco imported.

9 photos. Contribution from P Charrett appears in Bn 418, Aug 1972, p 192 and BT Macdonald's reply appears in Bn 425, Mar 1973, p 72. Contributions from RT Horne and J Armstrong appear in Bn 458, Dec 1975, p 286 and Bn 459, Jan 1976, p 19 respectively.

Vol. 21, No. 391, May 1970; pp 103-113

Locos that have crossed the Tasman
RJ Meyer

The first loco crossed the Tasman Sea in 1863 and many 1600 mm gauge NZ locos came to Australia when the NZR standardised on the 1067 mm gauge. Recently, D/E locos built in Australia have been shipped to NZ.
7 photos.

Vol. 21, No. 396, Oct 1970; pp 227-34

The Mersey and Deloraine tramway
HJW Stokes
Construction of a railway between Latrobe and Deloraine started in 1866, but financial problems resulted in the line eventually opening only as far as Coilers Creek in 1872. This article gives some insight into a little known and unsuccessful line.
4 photos.
Vol 21, No. 396, Oct 1970; pp 236–239
A short history of the Apsley branch line
HJW Stokes
This line was officially opened in 1891 and served an area of the southern Midlands, north of Hobart. The line was never a great success and was closed soon after the Second World War. This article gives a brief account of the history of the line, train operations on it, and rolling stock. Track plans and brief descriptions of sidings are included.
7 photos, 10 diagrams.
Additional information from the writer (with diagrams) appears in Bn 417, Jul 1972, pp 165–166.
Vol 22, No. 405, Jul 1971; pp 152–160
The second O-class loco of SA
GH Eardley
This 4-4-0-tank loco worked in Tasmania and Victoria before going to South Australia where it entered SAR service in 1912.
1 photo.
Vol 23. No. 411, Jan 1972; pp 21–23
A short history of the Nietta line
HJW Stokes
This lightly constructed branch line was built to open up country to the south of Ulverstone and was opened in 1915. This article briefly describes the history of the line and train operations on it. Track diagrams and brief descriptions of  sidings are included.
3 photos, 1 map, 12 diagrams.
Vol 23, No. 421, Nov 1972; pp 217–223
Branch lines of the Devonport district
HJW Stokes
Two branch lines (Don–Melrose–Barrington and Railton–Roland) were built in the Devonport district to open up rich agricultural land. This article briefly describes the history of construction and gives details of train operations and rolling stock used. Track diagrams and brief descriptions of sidings are included.
12 photos, 1 map, 11 diagrams. Further information from the writer appears in Bn 438, Apr 1974, p 96.
Vol 24, No. 428, Jun 1973; pp 125–137
The Derwent Valley railway
HJW Stokes
The first section of the branch line up the Derwent Valley was opened in 1886, with extensions continuing until 1936. This article gives a brief description of the history of construction, train services and motive power. Track plans and brief descriptions of sidings on the line are given.
16 photos, 1 map, 37 diagrams. A corrigendum appears in Bn 453, Jul 1975, p 161.
Vol 26, No. 452, Jun 1975; pp 125–143
The rise and fall of the Tasman Limited
HJW Stokes
The Tasman Limited was the TGR's only officially named passenger train, first running in 1954. Loco-hauled stock replaced railcars in 1955. The article traces the events leading up to the train's inception, the changes in working and rolling stock over the years, and the events leading to the train’s cancellation in 1978.
8 photos, 1 map.
Vol 29, No. 493, Nov 1978; pp 237–244
Passenger cars of the TGR — Part 1
HJW Stokes
Four and six-wheel carriages of the TGR.
The TGR operated an extensive variety of passenger cars. This article examines the 4-wheel and 6-wheel cars built for the 1600 mm and 1067 mm gauge lines of the TGR. The construction and disposal of cars within each class are described, and details of operations are given. Line diagrams of each class are included.
11 photos, 11 diagrams
Article is continued in Bn 508, Feb 1980, pp 46–48; with 2 photos and 1 diagram.
Vol 31, No. 507, Jan 1980; pp 11–24
Hunslet locos in Australia
RF McKiliop
This article reviews the Hunslet locos which came to Australia within the wider context of the evolution oi the firm which designed and built them. Details are given for 66 individual locos which worked in Australia.

15 photos, 1 diagram. Contributions from RF Ellis and J Browning appear in Bn 548, Jun 1983. pp 142-4. Contributions from WW Henderson, RJ Pearman and P Nave appear in Bn 557, Mar 1984, pp 70-1.

Vol. 33, No. 542, Dec 1982, pp 266-79
The F-class 2-6-0's of the TGR
HJW Stokes
Seven light steam locos were purchased from the Commonwealth Railways in 1948 as a short-term expedient to help alleviate a loco shortage. Four locos entered service, with the remainder used for spares. This article briefly describes the previous histories of the locos, and their operation and eventual disposal in Tasmania.
7 photos.
Vol 34, No. 551, Sep 1983; pp 194–200
Passenger cars of the TGR — Part 2
HJW Stokes
Double bogie side-door carriages of the TGR.
The TGR operated an extensive variety of passenger cars. This article examines the bogie side-door cars. The construction and disposal of cars within each class are described, and details of operations are given. Line diagrams of each class are included.
22 photos, 12 diagrams.
Vol 37, No 580, Feb 1986, pp 27–45
The high pressure Q class locos of the TGR
A Dix
Three of the 19 Q Class steam locos had boiler pressures of 180 psi (1240 kPa) compared to 160 psi (1102 kPa) of the earlier locos. This article details these locos (Q16, Q17 and Q19) which later had their pressures reduced to the original figure.
3 photos, 1 diagram.
Vol 37, No. 589, Nov 1986; pp 256–259
Locomotive remains near Sprent, Tasmania
K Turton
The remains of an old locomotive boiler found in northwest Tasmania are thought to have come from an early Victorian railway engine.
2 photos
Vol 39, No 604, Feb 1988, pp26–28
Passenger cars of the TGR – Part 3
HJW Stokes
Bogie saloon carriages of the TGR.
The TGR operated an extensive variety of passenger cars. This article examines the bogie saloon cars. The construction and disposal of cars within each class are described, and details of operations are given. Line diagrams of each class are included.
51 photos, 15 diagrams.
Article is continued in Bn 628, Feb 1990, pp 27 and Bn 629, March 1990, pp 55
Vol 41, No 627, Jan 1990, pp 3–18
Passenger cars of the TGR — Part 4
HJW Stokes
Carriages of the TMLR.
The TGR operated an extensive variety of passenger cars. This article examines the carriages built for the Tasmanian Main Line Railway company before its takeover in 1890. The construction and disposal of cars within each class are described, and details of operations are given. Line diagrams of each class are included.
25 photos, 15 diagrams.
Article is continued in Bn 641, Mar 1991, pp 55– 67
Vol 42, No 640, Feb 1991, pp 27–41
Tasmanian Government Railways Locomotive Classification
Melanie Dennis
This article looks at the different locomotive classification schemes used on Tasmanian Railways up to that time, and also the variations of the system.
Article is continued in Bn 655, May 1992, pp 103
A substantial follow-up by M. Dix & A. Dix appears in Bn 669, July 1993, pp 176–178
56 photos, 1 map
Vol 43, No 654, Apr 1992, pp 79–95
The Lemana Junction– Mole Creek line
HJW Stokes
This article briefly describes the history of the line and train operations on it. Track diagrams and brief descriptions of sidings are included.
16 photos, 1 map, 5 diagrams.
Additional colour photographs appear on the rear cover of Bn 686, December 1994.
Vol 45, No. 683, Sept 1994; pp 243–252
The Australian Standard Garratt on the Emu Bay Railway
JW Knowles
Hastily built during the second world war, the ASG locomotives were generally unpopular in other States. This somewhat judgemental article lists some of the problems with the Tasmanian locos and some of the solutions.
9 photos
Vol 46, No 689, March 1995, pp 59–66
Passenger cars of the TGR – Part 5
HJW Stokes
Guards vans of the TGR.
The TGR operated an extensive variety of guards vans. Details of both goods and passenger vans are given, as are details of the construction and disposal of vans within each group described.
22 photos, 13 diagrams.
Vol 47, No 704, June 1996, pp 163–182
The North-Eastern Line of the Tasmanian Government Railways
HJW Stokes
This article describes the history and operations of this line. Station diagrams and notes are also included, as are curve and gradient diagrams.
Article is continued in Bn 714, April 1997 pp 107–121
29 photos, 8 diagrams
Vol 48, No 713, March 1997, pp 67–77
Fantasy Island - A Tasmanian railway experience
KA Smith
This article is an extract from the author’s book, this portion detailing his time as Assistant Chief Mechanical Engineer of the TGR in the late 1940s.
Additional information appears in Bn 738, April 1999, pp 150
15 photos
Vol 49, No 730, August 1998, pp 283–293
The Parattah and Oatlands Railway
HJW Stokes
This article covers the construction and operation of this four-mile branch line, initially as a tramway and later as part of the railway system. Full details of the line are also included.
8 photos, 3 diagrams
Vol 51, No 754, August 2000, pp 298–306
The Tasmanian Government Railway on the West Coast - 1067mm gauge Lines: Strahan - Zeehan - Dundas
HJW Stokes
This article describes the history and operations of this line. Station diagrams and notes are also included, as are curve and gradient diagrams, and location maps.
Article is continued in Bn 784, February 2003 pp 43–62
52 photos, 10 diagrams.
Vol 54, No 783, January 2003, pp 3–21
The Hobart Suburban Passenger Service 1875 - 1975
HJW Stokes
This article describes the history and operations of the Hobart suburban system. Station diagrams and notes are also included, as are curve and gradient diagrams, and location maps.
Article is continued in Bn 809, March 2005, pp 108–119
Vol 56, No 808, February 2005, pp 43–67
Tasmania's Fingal Line
HJW Stokes
This article describes the history and operations of this line. Station diagrams and notes are also included, as is a location maps. Vol 61, No 867, January 2010, pp 14–30

References:

Thanks to all those people who wrote the articles in the first place, and those who publish the magazine for making room for them!

 


Return to top of page

Return to Information Index


Page last updated: July 28, 2016, 09:25:51
Page URL: http://
All content of this site is copyright
Please contact us if you have problems or want more information

For comments on or improvements we could make to our Web-site please contact  Stuart Dix — admin @ railtasmania.com or for more information on Tasmanian railways, read Tasmanian Rail News or contact Michael Dix — info @ railtasmania.com