In 1922, the TGR obtained the first of what was to eventually grow to a class of 19 heavy goods engines. The six Q class 4-8-2 locomotives and the four similar R class pacifics were ordered from Perry Engineering, of South Australia, and both types were to take the heavier mainline workings from the smaller locos that were more common at the time. A second batch, of three locos, was obtained from Walkers Engineering of Queensland in 1929. A third order, this time of six locos was later obtained from Clyde Engineering of NSW. A final batch of four was ordered from Clyde in 1940, but due to the Second World War, only two locos were in service by 1944. The TGR completed the assembly on the final two locos in 1945, from parts supplied by Clyde.
Initially the locomotives were restricted to operating between Hobart, Launceston and Devonport. By the time the last locos were delivered track upgrading had meant that they were able to operate on the Main, Derwent Valley and Fingal lines, and the Western line as far as Wynyard.
All Q class remained in service until 1956, when Q9 was withdrawn. Q4 and Q12 were the last to see service, being withdrawn from Hobart in late 1963. Q5 was sold to the fledgling Tasmanian Transport Museum for £350, and can now be seen at their Glenorchy Museum.
Return to Return to TGR class Index
Return to Railway Information Index