Following positive experiences from the unusual PVH locomotive (later Number 21), the Emu Bay Railway (EBR) again went looking for diesel-powered units to finally replace steam power, albeit in a somewhat more conventional form of locomotive. Initially plans were to purchase locomotives from Tuloch in NSW, but the order was eventually filled by Walkers Ltd in Queensland, and in 1963 three diesel-hydraulic locomotives were landed in Burnie. They shared some aspects with large shunters previously delivered to BHP in South Australia, and the successfully development of the 10 class led in turn to the development of the Queensland DH class and in turn the later EBR11 class. Three years after the initial delivery, a fourth unit was constructed by the TGR (partly from spare parts on hand) and joined the rest of the class running south through the West Coast mountains.
Following the introduction of the 11 class, the 10s were fitted with automatic couplers and multiple unit connections, and generally used as non driving centre units. In April 1998, the four 10 class were sold with the railway to ATN-Tasrail. All units were placed into storage in Burnie during June 2000 following closure of the Hellyer mine, although 1002 was later returned to traffic. Three units were sold in April 2001 to interstate buyers, while 1002 was donated to the Don River Railway in late 2001.
There are 16 matching items
Return to top of page
Return to Locomotive information Index
All content of this site is copyright ©
Please contact us if you have problems or want more information
For more information on Tasmanian railways, read Tasmanian Rail News